May 22, 2008
I’m pleased to announce a new “whirlwind” Community of Voices Writing Contest. DEADLINE June 7, 2008.
THE PRIZE: A scholarship* to the 2008 Santa Barbara Writers Conference, June 21-26.
1. Send up to 1200 words of your best writing. Your entry may be an excerpt from a longer work. If it is an excerpt, please indicate that.
2. You may send fiction, creative nonfiction, personal essay, humor, poetry or experimental.
3. Your topic or theme can be ANYTHING. If you prefer to have a specific theme to work with, your theme is “THE SCAR.”
4. Entry fee is $10.00. Make checks payable to GRACE RACHOW. Please put COMMUNITY OF VOICES SCHOLARSHIP on the “for” line of your check. ALL the entry fee money will go directly to SBWC scholarships.
5. Multiple entries? Yes. You may enter as many times as you wish, but each entry must include a $10.00 entry fee. Multiple entries may be sent in the same envelope. Several poems may be grouped as a single entry. (If you wonder how many several are, call it three.)
6. How to enter? You may send your manuscript via MS Word attachment to email@example.com .
Your entry fee check must sent by mail to
Community of Voices
P.O. Box 30302
Santa Barbara, CA 93130
Make sure it’s clear which contest entry goes with the check you send.
Or you may, if you prefer, send a paper manuscript to the above PO address with your entry fee check.
Your manuscript (either paper or email attachment) and your check must be received before judging time begins. You may send your check ahead, and send your manuscript via email attachment, anytime before noon on June 7, 2008.
MAKE SURE YOUR MANUSCRIPT INCLUDES YOUR NAME, ADDRESS, PHONE, AND E-MAIL.
Make sure you give a phone number (for notification of winner) where you can be reached the days following June 7.
7. Deadline: Judging will begin on June 7, 2008. (Yes I know this is very soon. This is a whirlwind contest! There is no time to procrastinate.) All entries must be in my hands by noon, June 7, 2008.
8. Winners (two or more) will be announced shortly after June 7, as soon as they can be chosen and notified.
9. Winners will be selected on writing merit by a panel of judges. The finalist judging will be “blind.”
10. The only eligibility requirements are that you follow all the above rules and want to (and be able to) attend the 2008 Santa Barbara Writers Conference. If you are chosen a winner, but are not able to attend, the scholarship will go to a runner-up in this contest. You will still retain the honor of being a winner of the CoV writing contest.
11. How many scholarships will be awarded? Three and maybe more. The more entry fees and donations, the more scholarships. All contest fees and donation money will go to scholarships. Please spread the word to any writers who might like to attend the SBWC.
12. If you happen to love the idea of sending promising writers to attend this conference, and you would like to contribute directly (in any amount) to this contest scholarship fund, your help would be very much appreciated. Special thanks to those who contributed last year. Four writers attended last year’s SBWC on CoV scholarships thanks to the generosity of the Santa Barbara writing community.
*The prize scholarship includes registration for all of the regular workshops and official events of the 2008 Santa Barbara Writers Conference, but does NOT include master classes, appointments with agents, room or meals. All of those additional items will be available to you for the regular fees paid by regular enrollees.
Grace Rachow, editor
Community of Voices